Portfolio
  •          


Thursday, September 30, 2010

ASBDC Fall Conference 2010

I attended the Fall Conference of the Association of Small Business Development Centers in San Antonio, TX last week. Many things happened in a very short space of time.

Presentations

I presented a brief 10-15 minute overview of how the Arkansas SBTDC is using social media (Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube) to provide outreach to veteran small business owners.

I also presented a full 1-1/2 hour workshop on mobile website development. My profound thanks to Betsy who worked me into this years schedule. Together, we enabled many SBDC counselors to receive timely information to benefit America's small businesses on how to implement m-commerce.

Both sessions were filled to overflowing and the workshop evaluations have been positive.

Noteworthy Things I Learned

I attended a very good workshop by Google on how to use their line of small business products like Local Listing. Most invaluable was establishing a contact with an insider at Google who i willing to forward my few requests for information and guidance to fellow Google staff. Ditto for the certificate towards certifying as a Google AdWords consultant.

The workshop by the Wyoming SBDC on how they went about establishing a virtual Wyoming SBDC in Second Life has proven the most useful. Just this morning I forwarded my notes to a student team at Henderson State University wanting to develop a virtual retail store as their entry in the upcoming Governor's Cup business plan competition.

I moderated Curt Clinkenbeard's workshop on the nine pillars of marketing. This was a good refresher as I received this training a few years ago here in Arkansas. I have resolved to follow up with his FAMEE Foundation and seek certification as a marketing consultant.

Finally, I attended a very good workshop on professional sales by Bob Butler of Butler Learning Systems. Thank you for the extra wallet cards with the 5 A's Selling Process and R-PAST. I have already distributed these cards to our students in the UALR Center for Professional Selling.

Personal

I managed to squeeze in a visit to Lackland Air Force base where I underwent Basic Military Training (BMT) many long years ago. Most of the facilities I lived in and/or frequented have recently been demolished. I did find and visit the bowling alley, the recreation center, and walk across the grinder where I huffed and puffed through calisthenics and long runs. I made it onto the base just in time to hear "Retreat" echo and watch as time and traffic stood still as end of day honors were rendered.

One evening mid-week, I spent time with my old shop chief from RAF Alconbury, UK. Chief Greyfeather, as he is affectionately known, took my out to Shertz, TX to a small mom and pop Mexican restaurant and introduced me to Borracho (black beans and jalapeƱos). We went by his house where he has a wonderful collection of brass rubbings.

Aside from a rough departure day involving food poisoning, checking in late for a flight, and extremely turbulent weather which left me with a lingering case of vertigo, the San Antonio conference was enjoyable, productive, and a welcome break.

No comments:

Post a Comment